top of page
SERC MLK Weekend
All participants must be verified as eligible to participate as listed in this section. Every participant must be legally listed on the dwelling lease of a low-income public housing property, multifamily property, Housing Choice Voucher Program, or a member of a Boys and Girls Club. The Housing Authority or Boys and Girls Club Executive Director is required to verify resident/membership status by signing the Certification form.
Age—The athlete’s age determination date is the first day of the tournament, January 13, 2023. A copy of each athlete’s birth certificate or Insurance/Medicaid card must be submitted with the team’s entry application. Athletes without proper proof of age are ineligible.
• 18 & under (Born after 1/15/2004)
• 15 & under (Born after 1/15/2007)
• 12 & under (Born after 1/15/2010)
Education Activities/School Grades—Participants must abide by the following rules:
• Each athlete/student must be enrolled in school or in an approved GED program.
• Each participant is required to maintain an overall “C” average. If an overall “C” average is not maintained, participant is required to enroll in a tutorial program. The tutorial program may be administered by the school, local Housing Authority or other agency.
• Each team is responsible for having its team members involved in educational activities. Each team must submit a written summary of what it is doing to meet the above requirement. Failure to provide this information will make the team ineligible to participate.
High School Athletic Eligibility—Athletes listed on their school’s basketball/cheer team during the current school year are prohibited from participating in this tournament.
RULES—All age divisions may compete in an older age classification; however, older participants may not compete in younger age classification. An athlete can only be listed on one roster. All age divisions will play 15-minute halves running the clock, and will stop only for time-outs. Each team has two 30-second time-outs per half, and three full 60- second time-outs per game. Overtime will consist of five minutes running clock, each team has one full-time-out. All teams will play with a 29.5” size ball. A mercy rule will be in effect. A running clock will begin once a team is ahead by 30 points or more. The clock will continuously run until the points difference is
less than 20.
ENTRY FEE—The entry fee is $450 per basketball team, $200 per cheer team, and $250 for groups of no more than 10 spectators. Make checks payable to the Housing Authority of the City of Goldsboro with SERC MLK Weekend in the memo line. Registration forms and checks may be mailed to the Housing Authority of the City of Goldsboro, Attn: SERC MLK Weekend at P.O. Box 1403, Goldsboro, N.C. 27533-1403.
January 13-15, 2023
bottom of page